If you have receive ddl statements from your developer and you want to check if it matches the current state of the development database, because the developer have done a lot of change in a quick and undocumented manner, what are your options?
I found this handy feature in Toad :
1) I create my objects on a separate database with the ddl I received from development
2) I compare the schema they use with the schema I created in Toad
–> Database –> Compare –> Schema
I select the options I want:
–> functions, indexes, packages, procedures, triggers, tables, view
I select the Reference and Comparison connections/schemas. Then I click compare
3) I receive the result
(only) 29 differences
4) the real bonus, I receive a script to update the live data according to the script I received. Undocumented change should never happen, so I do some communication with the developers
drop index foo; drop table bar; alter table gaz drop column bop; alter table gaz modify (quux null);
this is not going to be blind-executable, some change are simply impossible to implement, but for my little test, I was happy to discover that function
I have been using ERwin for this purpose before, but the version I have (4.1) is very buggy and does not support a lot of syntaxes (ex: deferred constraints, create view v as select cast(1 as number(1)) x from dual, etc…). Also ERwin can compare only with the current model, so no direct comparison between 2 database schema.