I remembered the time in 9iR2 when load/balancing was just dicing between the instance. In 10gR2, I noticed that load balancing is much better. I did a test, start 28 sessions from an external client, 12 went to node 1, 12 to node 2. Very impressive.
In 10gR2 RAC, the listener gets statistics collected by MMON, and balances load much more efficiently…
The Failover is also working correctly. I just powered off Doug PC (we work in team in this lab), and after second try it worked. The TNSNAMES must be configured correctly, with FAILOVER and virtual ip.
I also tried to install RAC/Linux/vmware on my notebook, but I stupidely remove the linux grub boot partition and I cannot boot anymore… I need a doctor soon 🙂